BBS Links FAQ Groups Members Register
Key/Samhongsa driver shorting
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

The Brass Backshop Forum > Steam Locomotive Modeling

Author Thread
Frank Bongiovanni
Brakeman

Key/Samhongsa driver shorting  Reply with quote  

Apologies if this has come up before. Had a Key/Samhongsa (NYC if that matters)4-8-2. Had a driver short. Looking for the short I applied high current to find a hot spot, and whatever caused the short burned out and the loco was fine. Now I have a friend's 4-8-2 (also Key/Samhongsa; not same NYC class, but apparently same generation)with shorts in three of the four driver pairs.

Is this a recurring problem with Samhongsa during a period? Much as I enjoy the detective work in finding shorts, I'm not crazy about reinventing the wheel. Anybody encounter a recurring specific problem with an obvious-once-you-find-it solution? TIA.

Frank Bongiovanni
Post Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:14 pm
GN.2-6-6-2
Brakeman

Is it possible that just maybe it's not the drivers but the brake shoe's that are causing the short's?
That was a known problem on a lot of brass engine's the brake rigging wasn't insulated,touched the driver....instant short.
Failing that I know that a few models that were quite old required new insulation between the tire's and driver's because of deteriation.
Post Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:36 pm
Frank Bongiovanni
Brakeman

Thanks Brakeman. Afraid that's usually one of the first things I look at. The good news is that the model has plastic brake shoes. The bad news is that I'm still detecting. I have this awful feeling that the problem is eggzactly as you describe; the insulation between the tires and the driver centers has deteriorated.

Frank
Post Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:40 pm
ShopMaster
Site Admin

Frank,

I have had some success with shorting drivers by running an Xacto blade along the gap between the tire and center to try and remove any burrs that may be causing the short.

Sometimes it is difficult to see any gap between the metal parts, they are assembled so tightly, but the Xacto blade method has fixed some shorting drivers for me.

http://daveayers.com/Modeling/index.html
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:53 am
Frank Bongiovanni
Brakeman

Thanks Dave. I'll try that next.
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:57 am